Thursday, October 2, 2014

A Much Needed Update

I want to first and foremost say thank you for the abundance of love and support we have felt from so many.  We really feel blessed to have made so many great friends over the years and to have so much family who are looking out for us.  Even though I haven't utilized this blog in over a year for keeping friends and family up-to-date on the happenings of our family, I felt that this could be a good way to disseminate an update on the commotion that has fallen upon our family in the last month.  I know many have reached out to us in the past month and may not know some recent events.

As many of you know, we found out in March that Chase was tasked to deploy to Afghanistan starting this month.  With so many months to prepare we really weighed out our options and felt at peace with the decision to take Chase's sister up on her offer to have me and the girls move in with her family here in Kansas City.  The decision to move really became a leap of faith when we found out, a week before our movers were set to arrive, that Chase's deployment was possibly being turned off.  As you may be aware, we are trying to pull out of Afghanistan by the end of the year, but as with everything in the military, we have always felt, "We'll believe it when we see it."  Well, the wheels really are in motion and deployments are being canceled.  You can imagine the panic that I began to feel wondering if we should really pack up and leave.  After seeking the Lord through prayer, we still felt encouraged to press forward with the deployment.  We packed up our house and put it all into storage, then made the drive from DC to Kansas City, KS at the beginning of September.  After helping us settle in, Chase flew back to DC to finish his out processing.  Well, the day before he was set to leave for combat training, he received official word that his deployment was canceled (this was three weeks ago now).  Usually anyone would be pleased to not deploy, but given the fact that we are in two different locations right now and without a house in DC, we experienced feelings of frustration/confusion when given the news.  We had oddly felt that this deployment was an answer to prayers (we had been praying that we could eliminate our law school debt by next year, and with the deployment that would be a possibility), and then felt prompted again to continue moving forward when we found out that the deployment could be canceled.  Plus, we had mentally prepared for this deployment and it really had come at a good time--I could go live with family since the girls are young and they won't really be affected by it.  Because if he doesn't deploy now, he will deploy eventually, so I say the sooner the better, right?

So what are our plans now?  Well the tricky thing is that Chase enters what is called a "bucket" every year and a half that lasts for 6 months.  When a JAG is in their bucket they can be tasked to deploy, no questions asked.  So Chase's bucket just started yesterday.  So we aren't packing up our things here in KC yet because there is still a very real chance he will deploy.  In fact he is #1 on the list to take the spot of any deployment slot that becomes available.  So we are just continuing to trust in the Lord as we really take steps into the dark.  I feel at peace right now with things.  I have to laugh at the Lord and His infinite wisdom in the timing of things, because I was asked a few months ago when they knew I was moving here to speak at the Stake RS Women's Conference on "Recognizing the Lord's Hand in Your Life."  I found out about Chase's deployment just 2 hours before I was to speak.  So I approached the evening asking Heavenly Father to help me receive inspiration for my own situation as I spoke, and I walked away feeling peace.  We just need to trust and take things a day at a time and we will gain understanding.  For now, I feel I am suppose to be here in Kansas City.  Luckily some dear friends of ours have opened their home to Chase so he isn't too lonely out in DC and is still having home cooked meals :).  He flew out to see us last weekend and will hopefully come visit again sometime this month.  

So our story is "to be continued..."  I will definitely try to keep people informed.  Thank you again for the kind words and prayers on our behalf.  We know the Lord has something in store for our family.  


Holly said...

Oh my goodness--I had no idea on the turn of events with Chase's deployment being called off! Sometimes it is hard to see the big picture with the Lord's timing and everything--but you & Chase are some of the most faithful people I know. I hope you get some more answers soon. In the meantime, hang in there. You're in our prayers! And P.S. I love blogs, so any time you update, I will definitely read it! ;)

Christy Gunnell said...

Holly you are always so good about replying and commenting. Sure love you!

Holly Petty said...

Christy!! I wish we were still there in DC to have chase over! We miss you guys and hope that the dust settles soon. What a crazy turn of events. Hang in there during this crazy time. We love you guys.