Tuesday, August 27, 2013

6 Weeks

So Madilyn is 6 weeks old, meaning we have had 6 weeks to adjust to being a family of 4.  We've had our ups and downs, but overall I think the adjustment to having 2 kids hasn't been too bad.  Madilyn definitely has made it easier than it could have been.

She eats about every 3 hours during the day and eats quickly.  I only have to nurse on one side due to my abundant milk supply so the nursing sessions usually only take 10 minutes, which is so helpful when you have a toddler vying for your attention.  I was nervous to not feed her on both sides like they suggest you to do, but after having her spit up a lot after every feeding and after weighing her and finding that she has gained over 5 lbs in the past 6 weeks (I knew she felt heavy), I feel okay with feeding on one side.

Her nights were rough until we started sleeping her upright.  I think she just gets an upset tummy easily and so sleeping upright helps.  Now she sleeps at least one 4 1/2-5 hour stretch at night.  I hope that we can transition her to sleeping flat on her back soon, but I'm scared to do it because I like the long stretches at night.

It was so nice to have my mom in town the first two weeks while Chase was away at training, and then to have Chase's mom come for a week to help out.  After their visits Chase had his 10 day paternity leave which couldn't have come at a better time.  It was when Madi's nights were rough and when Mila was acting out quite a bit.  I think a lot of her behavior stemmed from Madilyn's arrival and the visitors.  She was out of her routine and was testing boundaries with my mom and MIL.  (She never did take things out on Madilyn though, which I am grateful for.)  With Chase around we focused on doing fun things with Mila and getting back into a routine.  It was great!  I also took advantage of having him around and started working out.  I am so grateful for a quicker recovery this time.  I am also grateful just to have my body back where I can run around and be silly with my toddler.  What a blessing!

So there you have it.  We have adjusted and are doing pretty well I think.  I am back to running and exercising; Mila is back to her happy self; and Madi is growing like a weed.  I never really felt like Mila was "growing up too fast" because I enjoyed every stage of her growth and so I didn't long for a prior stage, I guess.  But Madilyn is definitely making me feel like she is growing up to fast.  I mean she already weighs 12 1/2-13 lbs for crying out loud.

Our friend took some pictures of our chubbers (one of her many nicknames) when she was one month.  Take a look...










2 comments:

Holly said...

I can't get over how big Madilyn is!! (And Mila, for that matter!) And how incredibly AWESOME that you only have to nurse on one side & that it only takes 10 minutes!!! Nursing was always the hardest time I had with Tucker acting out, so the faster it goes, the better, in my opinion. :) I'm so glad the adjustment to two kids is going well. We miss you guys!!

devid john said...

Download captain america 2 : www.captainamerica2thewintersoldier.com/