Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Exploring this Town

During our first month of being in Maryland, Chase made sure we went and visited some of the landmarks that I missed seeing the one other time I had been to DC.  One Saturday we visited a lot of memorials including:
The Lincoln Monument
The Washington Monument
The Korean War Memorial
I appreciated this reminder at the Korean War Memorial.  Being a part of the military and meeting families who are risking their lives for our country makes me respect and appreciate the cost of the freedom we enjoy everyday.
The WWII Memorial
"Our debt to the heroic men and valiant women in the service of our country can never be repaid.  They have earned our undying gratitude.  America will never forget their sacrifices."  I was really moved by this quote and the stars next to it represent those lost in this war since my Grandfather Smith's best friend, who my dad is named after, was killed in WWII.
Arlington Cemetery
We witnessed the changing of the guards at the tomb of the unknown soldier.  Chase has such a respect for these guards and the precision in which they march and such after having gone through officer training.  After events like the hurricane yesterday, I have such a respect for these men who take very seriously their assignment.  If you don't know, even in hurricanes, these soldiers remain at the tomb guarding it.  I don't know about yesterday, but during the last hurricane a few years ago, they asked to be handcuffed or chained to their post so they could remain at their post and not be blown away.
"Let the word go forth from this time and place to friend and foe alike that the torch has been passed to a new generations of Americans."  I love this quote and seeing my daughter next to it at JFK's grave.
We also saw the Vietnam memorial, but it was super crowded so no pictures were taken.
During the week we finally ventured on the metro from our place in order to meet up with Chase's aunt and uncle who were in town.  
Chase's uncle took us to the top of his office building that night after dinner where we had the chance to see the capital building and some of the monuments lit up.  It was beautiful.
One Sunday we went to see the LDS Washington DC temple.  Just this past Saturday I was able to go inside and do a session, and I have to say this temple is now my favorite.  It was so nice to walk around the grounds that day, especially since Mila knows the word "temple."  
Love how this picture caught her in mid-run.  She was excited.
She was also very interested in the angel, Moroni, on top.

We took some time to go to the Visitors' Center there at the grounds.  The sister missionary we visited with was so sweet with Mila and invited her to touch the nail prints in the Christus statue.  It was a very sweet experience for me to watch.
We know there is so much more to see...and slowly we are exploring more and more of this amazing city.

No comments: