Friday, August 24, 2012

Our Utah Visits

In the past month I was lucky enough to fly twice to Utah.  The first trip was literally a 48 hour trip--very quick.  I left Mila with my mom and niece Hannah, so I knew she would be entertained and cared for.  I flew into the Provo airport, spent the night with the Klains (who were about to leave Provo for over 2 months), taught all day at EFY on BYU's campus, met up with my in-laws for the night, and then flew out the next morning bright and early.  I'm not going to lie, it was so nice to fly solo for a change and to have 48 hours just to myself.  I could really enjoy my time with friends and family.  Even though I stayed up late in order to catch up with everyone, I felt rejuvenated when I returned.  

My second trip to Utah, just a week and a half later, was so I could teach at Education Week.  I loved the chance to teach the youth again, especially these youth.  The youth that attend Education Week are something else.  If you want to gain a testimony of how choice the youth of these latter-days are, attend Education Week and listen to their testimonies.  AMAZING.  Anyway, I sure hope they invite me back for a third year.

I tried to make the most of everyday we spent in Utah.  I apologize to those who we didn't get to see.  Here's a glimpse of some of the things we did do while in town.  
BBQ and swimming with some of my Johnson family.  Adelaine was so cute and instantly grabbed Mila's hand when we got there and showed her where the toys were.
BBQ/Birthday Celebration with the Smiths, Wrights, and Mr. Hardy 
  
Mila is really into "Ring Around the Rosie" right now, so we got the boys to join in on the fun.
I met with our movers and finally had all our "stuff" packed up and shipped to DC!
After seeing amazing pictures of Highland's splash park on Instagram (thanks Marcus!), I knew I wanted to take Mila to it.  So, we invited some of Mila's old playgroup buddies to meet us there.
 (This picture was caught right before Mila fell straight down on the rock.  Whoops.)
We also visited Riverwoods' splash pad twice during our visit.  During one of our visits, Mila had a chance to finally meet Jakob Fisher.  Wish I would have taken a picture with his mom, Lydia!  I'm so so glad I was able to see you Lydia!
One night we went and visited our cousins, the Wilcoxs, and Whitney was kind enough to take Mila for a ride on their bike.  Since then Mila is fascinated with bikes/motorcycles.  She looks for them as we drive and demands rides.  We definitely need to invest in some type of seat for my bike once we get to DC.
video
Just before we left we hit up Brick Oven for dinner with the Wrights.  Mila and Owen relived the old days by playing back at the Wrights place afterwards.  It was so nice to have a friend so close that I could just push my stroller over to her place to give Mila some play time with another kiddo.  I miss that.
Mila also soaked up lots of time with Chase's family.  I need to be better about taking pictures, especially when she's enjoying moments with family.  While we were there, Mila practiced calling everyone by name.  She now says, "Gigi," "Papa," "Tah-lee," (translation: Karlee) and "Jordi" (translation: Jordan).  I can't get over how cute it is when she calls her soon-to-be new uncle "Jordi."  This video is of her at the airport as we were leaving Utah.  She apparently was adamant about saying Jordan's name.
video
We aren't sure when we will be in Utah again, sadly.  Hopefully, those we missed seeing this time we can catch the next time.  Or, anyone and everyone is welcome to come visit us in DC!!!  You know you want to ;)

6 comments:

RH said...

Meh. I might visit you in Maryland, but not DC...

Marcus Lane said...

Looks like fun! We live right by that Highland splash pad and go often!!

Holly said...

So glad we were able to see you!!! Looks like you got a lot packed into your visit! Hopefully it won't be TOO long before we see you again!

Corey and Amy said...

Are you actually moving to The city in DC or somewhere else in Virginia? Some of my in laws live about 30 min from DC, wonder if you'd end up in their ward- I can't imagine there are a ton!

Christy Gunnell said...

We are moving to Maryland to Andrews Air Force Base. It is about 30 minutes from DC. Are they in MD?

Corey and Amy said...

They're in Virginia, about 10 min from the Dulles airport. DC is so fun, hope you enjoy!