Monday, July 23, 2012

Our Alabama Visit

Getting to Alabma was quite the accomplishment.  I had to juggle one over-weight checked bag, a laptop case, my diaper bag, a stroller, a car seat and a walking toddler with her beloved blankie!  Luckily I was able to bring the car seat on the flight so Mila slept for a part of it.  Then, once I got to Montgomery, I had to manage picking up my rental car again solo.  Thank goodness the rental cars were parked right outside of baggage claim.
Being with Chase was awesome!  It was so fun to see him in action marching and saluting and to get a feel for what we've gotten ourselves into--the military.  It took Mila maybe 5 minutes to realize Daddy was back and then she wouldn't let him out of her sights.  I couldn't stop laughing at the fact that she would yell "Dada" anytime she saw someone in uniform.  It was adorable.  
This trip made me realize how much Mila really does miss her daddy.  She would cry whenever we had to drop him off at the base for work.  Now that we're home she presses my phone to see the "lock screen" so she can see this picture while she says "Dada".
After Chase was done with COT we had a week together.  He had to go to work on base during the week, but we definitely had time to see Montgomery during the weekend and after his workday. 
 Of course part of experiencing any place for Mila is finding a splash.  She seemed to approve.
Mila definitely enjoyed herself in our hotel.  We stayed at a Residence Inn, which I would highly recommend to anyone staying for an extended period of time.  It was great.  Mila enjoyed being able to climb into cupboards and open drawer after drawer.  I loved it because I didn't have to worry what she was getting into since the drawers only had our clothes in them.

On the 4th of July we first went to a local parade.  Mila loved all the loot that was thrown at her.  She was introduced to candy for the first time because of it.  
Then we went to a BBQ place people raved about.  It was okay.  We've become particular about our BBQ over the years.
To end the day we went to the local baseball game for the Biscuits.  Mila was even asked to be part of a contest during the 6th inning!  She lost horribly...ha ha, see for yourself.
(Mila's the baby closest to the camera.  Yep, she doesn't move.  The announcer had her mesmerized.)


Saying goodbye was very, very hard this time, especially knowing that this training is twice as long as the last and the last one already felt forever long.  I know I need to get use to this though since this won't be the last time we have to be apart.  Well, here's hoping the weeks fly by quicker than they have.

6 comments:

Mark and Elaina said...

You're amazing! Being single mommy for a while and traveling all by yourself with all that stuff. I hope it goes by super fast! Mila is adorable as always! :)

Rachel said...

Psh! Bad BBQ in Alabama?! Blasphemy!!

Christy Gunnell said...

We haven't had Georgia BBQ yet, but as of right now SC is still our favorite by far.

Holly said...

You're my hero for traveling with all that loot by yourself! Glad you had a fun time with Chase!! So sorry you had to say goodbye again. :( We can't wait to see you when you're in UT!!! (hopefully we can work something out to get together...?!)

cameron and chelsea said...

Mila is such a doll! I love that we've been able to see y'all so often recently!! You will have to come see our new place before y'all move out to DC. I don't know how you do it though, being apart from Chase for so long. Cameron will be in NYC for 3 weeks and I have anxiety just thinking about!!! eek.

Kendra said...

Oh man. Yes, traveling with all that stuff and a baby/toddler by yourself is miserable. I also just pay the $5 for carts at the airport to save me some stress. It's funny cause most airport carts have a place for a baby to sit, but not in SLC. Weird, right? Anyway, so glad you were able to see Chase. Looks like he's slimmed down with all that hard work and training. I bet both you and Mila are missing him so much. Such a long time to be away... :(