Sunday, June 17, 2012

Ode to Chase

Since we are apart this Fathers' Day, I felt it necessary to post my poem here on our blog since I can't hand it to Chase in person.

 Ode to the Father You've Become
(Fathers' Day 2011)
When this picture was first taken,
You're carefree life was just forsaken.
A fresh father on the rise,
You had stars in your tired eyes.

You knew you had lots to learn,
but I didn't know I'd get my turn
To learn more about the man
Who put a ring upon my hand.

This year I've learned a lot
And I want to hit every spot.
But I don't think I can make it rhyme
As I write in poetic line.

So this time can I cheat?

Wait, you're not here to stop me.  So, I'll do what I want :)  As I was chatting with your grandma today I realized how much I've learned about you as I have watched you as a father this past year.  I learned that you will work hard to provide for our family even if it means bending over backwards to meet deadlines and requirements.  I learned that you can handle a lot on your plate and that you are really good at balancing family time, work (which was going to school), and church commitments.  I learned that you are the protective mother bear in our relationship (wink wink).  I learned that no matter how long your day has been you still help out around the house and try to lighten my load.  I learned that I love you even more than I did just one year ago.  I love and appreciate you so much.

"I love you not only for who you are but for who I am [and the type of mother you help me to be] when I am with you."

1 comment:

Holly said...

So sweet. Sorry you guys have to be apart right now. Happy Father's Day to Chase! We can't wait to see you guys again someday! :)