Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Overwhelming Gratitude

Sunday night, our church celebrated the seminary program's 100 years of existence. For those not of my faith, seminary is a program designed for teenagers to attend that allow them to study the scriptures for four years in order to study the Old & New Testament, the Book of Mormon, and the Doctrine and Covenants along with our church's history. Living in Texas, I attended seminary before school at 6AM at my church building. Here in Utah because there are so many Latter-day Saints, there is a greater demand for seminary classes, and so there is a seminary building adjacent to practically every high school and junior high. This allows students to be released from school for one period a day and walk to the seminary building. My seminary teachers volunteered their time each morning to teach us from the scriptures. In Utah, they pay seminary teachers since they teach all day. As many of you know, I had the opportunity to teach seminary for five years. Although in the past few months I have missed being in the classroom less and less as I grow more in love with my life as a mother, today my heart aches. Today I realize how blessed I am to have been a part of such an amazing program.

Many of you reading this will have been blessed by being able to attend seminary growing up. Like me, you may not have realized as a teenager, how blessed you were to be able to study daily with peers the scriptures. I realized years later the impact seminary can have. I realized it because during my senior year I was not diligent in attending seminary. I did the necessary make up work in order to graduate from seminary, but I definitely didn't value seminary like I should have. Near the end of my senior year I faced some difficulties that I know came about because I did not have a full measure of the Holy Ghost in my life to help guide and direct me. Maybe that's why when I became a seminary teacher I was passionate about students coming and making the most of their time in seminary. Plus, as an adult I understood that it's not every day that you get to have gospel discussions and feel the spirit as your testimony grows. But that's the thing, it was every day for me while I was a teacher. I think that's what I miss--being in an environment where I felt the spirit daily and witnessed the strength that the youth today carry with them. The Lord really is sending some pretty choice spirits in these last days. I had that witnessed to me time and time again. If you have a second, you should watch the beginning of the broadcast starting just after the 5 minute mark. You'll see for yourself in the short video the church produced about seminary how strong the youth are.

I'm grateful for the Lord's hand in guiding me towards teaching seminary. I'm grateful for the youth and faculty of Mountain View that I rubbed shoulders with for four years. And I'm grateful to now have the chance to use my teaching skills on my daughter. I just hope I don't get rusty :)

No comments: