Thursday, May 19, 2011

Presenting Mila Christy Gunnell

Mila Christy Gunnell's story for those who may not have heard it yet...
May 17, 2011, is a day that we will not soon forget, nor will the nurses at Orem Community Hospital. We arrived at 5:00 a.m. for our induction. By 7:45 a.m. I had Petocin going, my epidural placed, and my doctor broke my water. For the next two hours I stayed at dilated to a 2, but between 9:45 a.m. to 11:20 a.m. I progressed until I was complete. At that point our doctor was notified and we started what he calls "rest and descend." Our doctor has the philosophy with first-time mothers to rest and allow the baby to descend for 1-2 hours before the mother starts to push. Little did he realize, Mila would need no pushing.

By 12:45 p.m. I was feeling lots of pressure and a little pain, so we boosted my epidural. Mila's heart rate kept decreasing during contractions so the nurse had me roll to the opposite side that I was on, in a hope to keep Mila's heart rate constant during contractions. After rolling over I felt liquid on my leg. I told the nurse and we decided to change the pad on my bed. During this conversation with my nurse, Chase, who was sitting on the couch, said he heard a baby cry. Both my nurse and I looked at Chase and told him we hadn't heard it. I then told Chase to not joke about these things. I continued conversing with my nurse and a couple seconds later, I heard, Chase heard, and Chase's sister heard (who was in the room talking on the phone with Chase's parents who had just arrived from Beijing) what sounded like a baby's cry. Chase got adamant that he was hearing a baby. The nurse told him that a baby was being born in the room next to us and that she thought Chase was hearing the cries of that baby. Chase got more adamant and, to appease Chase, the nurse looked under the sheets and saw something she will never forget: Mila's head sticking out to her shoulders. The nurse immediately pushed the "Code Red" button and within 10 seconds we had 10 people in the room helping Mila. The nurse asked me to give a push to help deliver the rest of Mila. Chase and I were shocked. We didn't know what was happening. All I remember is Chase was half frustrated, half scared, saying, "I told you I heard a baby cry!" I started bawling. I wasn't hearing anything from Mila. She wasn't crying. The nurses had taken her to the warming station to get her all cleaned up. They persisted in reassuring Chase and me that Mila was fine, but we were still nervous. They conducted all of the necessary tests and found out that she was perfect.

It was about this time that my doctor showed up and it didn't take long before I realized he was upset. While he was getting ready to sow me back up (I had a second degree tear), the nurse leaned over and said to me, "He isn't mad at you, he is mad at us nurses." After he stitched me up I was able to hold Mila for the first time. No words can describe the emotions that overcame me at that moment. I have never loved someone so completely, so purely, and so immediately as I did Mila the first time I saw her. It was a spiritual feeling that I will never forget.

The miracle about it all is that afterwards the nurse that ended up delivering Mila came to our room and told us about a conversation she had with the doctors that were at the hospital. She asked the doctors if it was possible for a baby to cry when only her head is out and they all unanimously said that it was impossible for a baby to make a noise until they are completely out of the mother's body. So, I don't know what Chase heard, but what I do know is it was a miracle either way you look at it. Either Mila made a noise that the doctors believe is impossible for a baby to make with just their head sticking out of the mother's body or someone from the other side of the veil made a noise so that we would know Mila was out. The later option is plausible because the night before I gave birth to Mila, Chase gave me a blessing and stated that there would be many of our relatives that have passed on that would be in the room during the birth of Mila. We feel so blessed to have many looking out for us in this life and in the next.

So, now, I would like to give a brief description of the name and how we chose it. Mila (pronounced Mee-la) is a popular Russian name that Chase has loved since his mission. It doesn't have a direct translation, but the closest things are cute, precious, sweet, and cuddly. To give you an example, the word "mila" would be used when a Grandma comes up to an infant that she finds cute and says, "Oh, she is is mila." It is for that reason that we decided to name our daughter Mila. The first attribute I noticed on our little girl was that she had big cheeks, perfect for a grandma to pinch and say, "Mila." Since that time, Mila has just grown into her name in meaning. She is definitely cute, precious, sweet, and cuddly.

So that's her story. Here are some pictures from her delivery and stay at the hospital...
Me at my largest
Just chillin while enjoying my epidural and a bit of oxygen
One proud, relieved daddy
My first chance to hold my sweet daughter
The doctor Mila just couldn't wait for
Bringing her home in the same blanket I left the hospital in when I was a baby

20 comments:

the shields riot said...

ahhh!! this is a great story, he could hear a baby crying, i love it!

Congrats and enjoy it!! It will change your life for the better.

Dayna said...

I am so glad that she is here! Can't wait to see her again ;-)

Cameron and Chelsea said...

Congrats! That's so exciting. We're happy for you two. We are so excited to meet your new little girl this summer and see y'all again! xoxo.

missesbarlow said...

What a miracle! That is so amazing. And I hope that doesn't happen to me... my doctor is also Dr. Judd! He's so awesome! Anyway, congrats to you guys! Baby Mila is beautiful and I love her name! Good job mama!

Holly said...

Love all the pictures! Thanks for the belly picture--you didn't even get that big! Mila is SO adorable, and I LOVE her cute little hat! We are counting down the days till we get to come meet her!!!

The Beattys said...

Congrats Christy, she's beautiful! Hope you are getting a little rest!

stan.deidra@gmail.com said...

That is a great story! I do know that Chase is close to the spirit! He is a good man and I know you are a wonderful woman. Enjoy every minute, they go really, really fast.

Rachael said...

such a beauty. Can't wait to see her in another week or two!

Andrea said...

Way to make me cry, Christy:) I'm glad she's here safe and sound!!

sam and brittney said...

What a crazy birth story! She is beautiful!

Katie I. said...

Oh my goodness! What a crazy birth story....things never go as planned. :)I'm so glad everyone is healthy and happy. Congratulations on becoming a mommy! She is beautiful!

Leanne said...

Best birth story ever. I hope you are adapting to motherhood well! She is just perfect. And I have to tell you, as I was looking through your pics, on the one with you first holding Mila I thought "oh how cute!" then kept scrolling and stopped, went back to that picture and though "DANG Christy looks good!" Just thought you might like to know my train of thoughts, you beautiful baby haver you :)

Amber said...

Wow! What an amazing story! She is so precious and you look great! I guess you'll have to be careful with the next ones that you get to the hospital in plenty of time so they don't slip out on the way! =) haha... We are so happy for you.

taryn said...

Congrats Christy and Chase!!! She is just beautiful and sweet as can be! And what a wonderful story to tell her when she's older. She's a miracle baby!

The Shaeffer Family said...

Oh my gosh Christy! That is absolutely crazy! If I were that nurse I would have had a heart attack! That is definitely not expected from a first time mama! I did my capstone for nursing school at Orem community and I loved it there! Wasn't it awesome!?! Mila is so so beautiful and I am so so happy for you! You are going to be the best mama there is! I miss seeing you every Sunday!

Love, Rachel

Mary Martha said...

Congrats!!! This is such great news. She is beautiful.

Brad and Holly said...

So excited for you and Chase! Your daughter is beautiful!

Holly Petty said...

Oh my goodness...I almost had a heart attack reading this post! I'm so glad that everything turned out okay even if it wasn't how you quite expected it!

Mila is adorable! I hope your recovery is going well.

Page said...

WHAT no pushing???? That is so crazy! She will love her birth story when she's older. She's beautiful, great job you guys!!

Melissa said...

Mila looks so beautiful! How precious! Congratulations!!