Friday, February 18, 2011

My First Attempt

Okay, first off, my pregnant or formerly pregnant friends, where do you find cute, long enough, maternity dresses??? Seriously, I'm starting to get really annoyed with my long figure because all the dresses I try on are not long enough. Luckily I can still manage to get into my jeans by using the rubberband method to give me a little extra wiggle room at the waist, or I'd probably be even more annoyed trying to find jeans that fit well. Anyway, I would love to know where to shop for dresses since I have to wear a dress 6 days of the week and I'm getting really tired of my current selection.

Moving on...so because of my frustration I decided to bring out the sewing machine. For those of you who have never seen the work of my talented friend Leanne, you should take a look at her design blog or her etsy shop. The girl never ceases to amaze me. She introduced to our ward at a Relief Society meeting her pattern for super cute T-shirt dresses (you can find her step-by-step instructions here).

I have loved these dresses for awhile now, and it finally dawned on me that this could be the solution to my maternity dress problem. So after telling myself for a month that I can create such a dress on my own, I decided to try one Saturday. I bought some cute gray light corderoy fabric from Joann's and a cute forest green top from Cozy (if you have not been to Cozy on University Pkwy, seriously you are missing out...Leanne told me about this place so I finally went and seriously all the cute clothes made me covet having a skinny body again). After many hours and a few prayers, I managed to come out with a creation that I am not embarrassed to wear.
This definitely is not as good of quality as the dresses that Leanne makes, but I learned a few valuable tips for the next one I make. Like, because I'm prego and the fabric isn't stretchy, I needed more fabric than normal. So next time I am going to get 1 3/4 yard of fabric. Because of my lack of fabric I didn't get to gather the skirt as much as I would have liked. Second, I think I'm going to try some jersey fabric that lays nicer on the curves. Third, I did a back seam rather than two side seams (in order to save on fabric), but really the side seams would be way easier to work with when trying to make your gathering on the skirt even. Anyway, it wasn't bad for a first attempt at making my own clothes. Chase is thrilled because he really likes the idea of me making matching dresses for me and the little one. I'm just happy to have a dress that I don't have to pull down every 5 minutes.

11 comments:

Mark and Elaina said...

Because I'm cheap and generally uncreative and talented in the sewing category, I usually bust out the leggings and/or tights. That way nothing shows when I walk or bend over or whatever. It may make me feel like I'm 12, but it works. :) Also, have you ever heard of the B-band (aka belly band)? SOOOOO much better than a regular rubber band. Plus it covers the whole top of your pants so no one can see your zipper half way down. I would highly recommend it.

Megs said...

I go all skirt when I'm pregnant - you can get some great ones at any maternity store (it's worth the price to get one or two at least), or just some fun stretchy ones (like the materials they use at DownEast). It seems like Macy's had a pretty good maternity section, last I checked. I recommend getting actual maternity pants too, and foregoing the rubber band - that only worked for the first little while for me, and the new style of pants? So comfy! :) Good luck!

Oh, P.S. Do you know what you are doing for a blessing dress yet? If not, let me know. ;)

C and K said...

soooo cute!!!!

Court said...

OK I'm totally with you on the dress thing! My parents took me shopping for my birthday, and we looked EVERYWHERE for a skirt but they're all too short. And I'm not even a tall person! I ended up with one dress, but I think I might break down and make a Leanne dress too... I can't wear the same dress for the next 4 months haha

Leanne said...

LOVE it Christy! Great job! I have the same top in purple. I love that gray corduroy. Honestly, the more you make the easier it gets. Have you used elastic thread yet? Wrap it around your bobbin when you are sewing with a stretchy fabric and it will be a breeze to pull on and off.

Lydia said...

Love it! and Love your cute baby bump! I don't know what I would have done if I was still wearing skirts/dresses 6 days a week. I have two Jersey Knit skirts. One is a GAP maternity and the other is yoga type Lands End Skirt I got on Sale that I just bought "too big" at the time. I also made a belly band from some Jersey Knit that I bought on sale at JoAnn's- it was way easy. And it works way better and is more comfortable than the elastic band. I don't use it for pants any more but I still use it on my skirts. As for jeans- I bought a pair of maternity ones at Target and love that they are stretchy. I also like that they have the panel because it helps hold the weight of my belly for me!

Emily Malinka said...

pea in the pod... a little more pricey but get yourself a few good items and oh you will be grateful the further pregnant you get! There is nothing more frustrating watching your ever transforming body and not having anything cute to put on it... boo!

I am not sure if there is a store in UT but they have better sales in the store then on their website.

Kendra said...

I love it! You did a fabulous job and I can't wait to see you in it in person. I'm impressed. I don't think I could make that. Way to go! :)

Dayna said...

Christy way to go! I remember you telling me you made this and so I am glad you blogged about it! I am SUPER IMPRESSED!!!! Way to go!

Then as for me I also busted out the leggings...it just made it easier for me, but you are also a couple inches taller so I am not sure how that will work. I know target has some fun flowing dresses that actually aren't maternity but a lot of my friends wore them with a shade shirt or something under them and it was perfect! Good luck! I will go shopping with you if you want because I need them too!

Rachel said...

holy awesome talent! i love it!

Tina said...

I'm impressed! You look great and your dress looks so good. Seeing you outside Grandview makes me miss Provo and being your neighbors!