Monday, September 27, 2010

Saying Goodbye

The past few weeks have been a roller coaster ride for Chase's family. Late last month we were told that Chase's maternal grandmother's cancer had returned and unfortunately had spread throughout her body. As a result, they gave her 2-3 weeks to live. After about 4 weeks of fighting it, this morning at 6:30AM she passed from this world and into the next.

Although we wish her time on earth could have been longer, we look at these past few weeks as a tender mercy from the Lord. Elaine was able to have her family around her constantly, which I know brought her so much comfort. And it definitely allowed Chase and I time to feel closure. It also allowed me to share my musical gift with Grandma. See, Grandma Stratford has truly blessed not only her family but countless individuals with her musical talents, and so to bring comfort one day Chase and I went over so that I could sing for Grandma. I realized that in the 3 years of us knowing one another, we had never shared this love for music together. So I'm grateful for that afternoon. And I'm grateful for the generous love that she showed me since we very first met--exactly 3 years ago during General Conference. She truly will be missed. It makes my heartache to think that our future children will not be blessed by her crocheting skills--that I won't be able to wrap up a baby in one of her blankets. But I know that we will feel her love wrapped around us throughout the precious moments in our lives that we would want to share with her. I'm grateful to the Lord for the time I've had in knowing Elaine and in calling her Grandma.
Elaine is on the left in this picture.

4 comments:

Holly said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, but glad she was able to hang in there so long. Thank goodness for our knowledge of the gospel.

Emily Malinka said...

oh it is so bitter sweet to loose a loved one, you guys are in our thoughts and prayers today!

Georgie K. Buttons said...

I'm sorry, my friend! I hope you are doing all right. Thinking of you. <3

Kristin said...

Christy, I'm just a random visitor to your blog, but I wanted you to know that I completely feel your and Chase's pain. 2 days after you wrote your post, my grandmother passed away, also from cancer.

Your thought about not having a crocheted blanket to wrap a baby in struck a chord as my grandmother made quilts for all the babies in our family, and should I be blessed with a baby, that child won't have a 'great-grandma' quilt to wrap up in.

Although I don't know you personally, please know that I will be praying for you two as the holidays approach. Also know that there is someone experiencing the same thing, even though you have no idea who I am.

God bless,
Kristin