Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Summer Recipe

So as I stated before, I am in love with all the produce that summer blesses us with. On Sunday Chase's grandparents were so generous and gave us two very large zucchini from their garden. We were so excited because it allowed us to whip out one of our favorite, easy summer recipes. I thought I'd share it with you, my loyal readers, in case you too find yourself with zucchini this summer and are tired of just making zucchini bread.

Stuffed Zucchini

1 med-large zucchini
1/2 lb. of thawed, uncooked ground beef or sausage (we prefer hot sausage...so good!)
1/4 c. mayo
2 tsp. onion flakes
2 tsp. parsley flakes
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. salt or Lawry's salt (we prefer the Lawry's salt)
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. pepper
2/3 c. spaghetti sauce
Parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese (I think I am now more a fan of the mozzarella)

Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise (like you would if making twice baked potatoes). Scoop out the centers leaving 1/4" shell (again just like with twice baked potatoes). Place the shells in a shallow baking dish.

Coarsely chop the zucchini centers and mix with the next 8 ingredients. Spoon into shells. Top with sauce and cheese. Bake 30-45 minutes at 375 degrees.

If you don't have a garden with zucchini growing within, it is definitely worth going to a farmers' market to get some zucchini. I haven't had success finding large enough zucchinis at the store. Farmers' markets or your grandparents' garden are where it's at :) Enjoy!

1 comment:

Dayna said...

I just made this on sunday as well with my butternut squash and it was delicious! YEA FOR PRODUCE!