Friday, July 23, 2010

North Carolina

Earlier this month Chase and I were flown to Raleigh, NC in order for me to speak at a 5-Stake Youth Conference held on East Carolina University's campus. It was such a treat, especially since neither one of us had ever been to the Carolinas. I loved the Southern hospitality that was extended to us throughout our stay. We extended our trip by a day before and after the Conference so that we could see a bit of Carolina. It involved a bit of driving but here are some snapshots of our adventures.

Fort Macon, a Confederate fort built on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. The Siege of Fort Macon by the Union during the Civil War took place from March 23 to April 26, 1862.
Kitty Hawk where the Wright brothers altered life as we know it. Really, as we learned more about the first recorded flight in history we realized that this was quite the life altering discovery.
There's a monument seated on the hill where their plane took off from.

This is the track and markers of the how far they reached on the first four flights.
It just so happened that we visited Kitty Hawk during the 32nd annual Kite Festival. I even got to fly my own little kite along side some wicked huge kites! Chase and I both loved the picturesque campuses of both ECU and Duke. We had fun taking "artsy" shots around the campuses.Chase and I are fans of the show "Man Vs. Food" so we had to venture to one of Adam's picks in Raleigh before we flew home. Our trusty Jeep Liberty and GPS unit that we affectionately call "Vicky" (short for "Victoria" since we used the female British voice to navigate us). We drove over 800 miles on this trip so we were grateful for a trusty car and navigation system.
The trip was a nice vacation for us both and a great opportunity to once again rub shoulders with the youth. I loved the opportunity to have Chase on the trip with me, not only because he line danced at both of the dances that were held, but because he helped me meet so many more people than I would have on my own. I hope we have more opportunities like this to travel and speak.

1 comment:

Page said...

Go North Carolina! If you come here again let me know and we can get together!