Thursday, July 15, 2010

Just What I Needed

So yesterday as I was on BYU's campus preparing to teach at EFY I checked my email and read some pretty disheartening news dealing with family matters. A pain I'm all too familiar with flooded my system once again. My mind raced with thoughts like, "When will this end?" and "Will things ever get better?" I lost all desire to be peppy and cheerful to the youth who would soon be entering my workshop. But the Lord knew this was going to happen and He knew I would feel hopeless. I know this because I witnessed His love yesterday through a tender mercy.

David A. Bednar once defined tender mercies as "the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ…”

The personal blessing of strength I received yesterday had to do with the fact that of the four lessons I taught at EFY, my lesson entitled "You Are Loved" that discusses how the Lord's hand is in our lives through tender mercies was the very lesson that I was scheduled to teach yesterday morning. I know it was not a coincidence that things worked out that way. The Lord knew I needed to be reminded of His love at that moment. To start out the class I had planned for the youth to sing "I Feel My Savior's Love". I'm so grateful for the Spirit's strong presence as we sang that simple Primary song. It gave me the strength to teach.

So to my readers, I encourage you, as we were once by Pres. Eyring, look each day for evidences of the Lord's hand in your life. Because He is very present in our lives. I know this to be true.

3 comments:

Kendra said...

I'm sorry you're struggling with some family stuff right now. And I'm glad you felt the Lord's love for you. As a new mom, I've felt many tender mercies and I too am grateful for that.

Emily Malinka said...

What a neat opportunity to get to teach at EFY! Knowing you and your strong desires your lesson will be amazing... thanks for the words you shared. Honestly, there are days that without the Lord and those tender mercies I wonder how much longer I can go on doing all that I am doing, but that is what he asks, so that is what I do. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Mark and Elaina said...

I'm amazed by you! I want to go to one of your EFY talks. Too bad I'm not a teenager :) I hope that all is well and that things will improve quickly.