Monday, July 19, 2010

I love summer!

I love summer!! I love summer for a lot of reasons, but this summer I've really come to appreciate the fresh produce that is abundantly available during the summer.

This Saturday we really took advantage of the season. Chase's sister Dayna told us about this co-op called Bountiful Baskets. To learn more about them go here. Anyway, we signed up to pick up our first basket of produce on Saturday and we were thrilled with the results. For just $15 ($19 if you are a first timer) we got all of the following:

A head of lettuce
10 plums
10 peaches
6 limes
A large bunch of bananas
A cantaloupe
2 mangoes
Asparagus
Cauliflower
Grapes
Roma tomatoes
2 squash

I think that's everything. What a steal! Thanks Dayna for introducing us to this. We will definitely be taking advantage of this again. The cool thing is they do this co-op in tons of cities here in Utah as well as in Idaho, Wyoming, Texas, Arizona, Washington, and Nevada. So really, you should check it out.

Not only are we enjoying our produce, but we're taking advantage of the herbs I've been growing. Although my potted garden has not been as successful as I had hoped, we are enjoying the basil, parsley, and oregano that are hanging in there. Nothing beats a caprese salad with fresh tomatoes and mozarella cheese garnished with freshly-picked oregano and basil.
I hope everyone else gets a chance to enjoy the fruits of the season!

No comments: