Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Honoring my Grandpa

This past week has been a whirlwind. Chase and I finally Skyped with one another on Wednesday mid morning (such a tender mercy to get to Skype before all this went down) and before I could talk to Chase again the following had happened: My parents called to inform me my grandpa had been emitted into the hospital for aspirated pneumonia; I visited him for an hour or so after work; my mom booked a flight because the doctors were giving my grandpa 1-3 days to live but instead he lived only a few more hours. Sadly, my mom did not get to talk to her father one last time before he passed. Since she came into town we have been squaring away everything for the funeral and visiting with family. Today is the funeral. I'm just tying up lose ends at work then I'm headed home to get ready.

I wanted to take the chance to honor my grandpa for a moment. He's the only grandpa I ever really knew growing up. My father's dad died when I was 5 or so. I will always remember my grandpa's love for BYU as well as the love and support he always showed me in my educational and career pursuits.

Yesterday I had the chance to go help dress him in his temple attire with my mom. I was glad I was there to support my mom as she had a chance to finally say "goodbye" to her dad. It was such a neat experience to see for myself how true the scriptures are when they state that our body is just a tabernacle of clay for our body. Without our spirit it is just an empty vessel. I was grateful to dress my grandpa in the clothes he loved wearing the most. I will never forget his desire to serve the Lord whether through church callings or through going to the temple. I know he is happy now to have strength to spread the gospel on the other side.
I will miss you Grandpa!

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

sorry to hear about your grandpa.. and all of this while chase is gone. ugh. i hope youre doing okay.

taryn said...

Oh christy, I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm sure that was a very tender time spent with your mom. If you ever need anything please let me know.

Devry said...

That's the pits that this happened while Chase is away. I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa. You'll get through it though your one tough cookie.

Audrey said...

So sorry Christy, you and your fam are in my thoughts and prayers

Leanne Barlow said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Grandpa. He sounds like an amazing man. What an amazing experience you got to share with your mom. I think you summed it up perfectly about our bodies only being vessels for our spirits. I have seen this firsthand also, and it just shows that the gospel is true, without any doubt.