Monday, April 19, 2010

Early Birthday Surprises

As you may remember, Chase is headed to Ukraine soon for an externship with the law firm Baker & McKenzie. He leaves on May 6th for six weeks so he is sadly not going to be here to celebrate his or my birthday. So we have exchanged gifts early this year. Chase has been dying for quite some time to have noise canceling Bose headphones for flights and for law examinations. So while at the Park City outlets I bought some and totally surprised Chase. He loves them!
Choosing what I wanted for my birthday was a bit tough. Chase wanted me to get something that would occupy my time while he's away. Naturally getting a puppy finally was seriously considered, but I opted for a more practical gift. I am now the proud owner of a sewing machine.
After a lot of research I made the plunged. I now have no excuse for no curtains in our kitchen or bedroom. Except for, where should I go for fabric? Any suggestions my sewing friends? Where can I find good deals on fabric in this town?

9 comments:

Leanne Barlow said...

Yessss!!! You will never regret getting a sewing machine. Joanns has great fabric, and I usually hit them up about 4 times a week, but the Fabric Mill, off of 1400 is really good too. Let me know if you need any help with anything. I'm excited to see your creations!

Megs said...

Ooh, I'm a little jealous. I was just thinking the other day of adding that to my "wish list." Such a great investment!

I second the advice to go to Joanns (on University Parkway)- such a great selection, and they usually have pretty good sales too. ;) I can pass on any coupons

Lydia said...

JoAnn's has great fabric and I have never paid full price for anything. They have sales and coupons every week. And it's right on your way home.
I am excited to see what you make! I need to make some curtains for our living room.

missesbarlow said...

yessssss!!! this will give us time together (with chase gone)... and it will give me a great excuse to finally open up my sewing maching i got at christmas '08, oops! i love and miss you!

missesbarlow said...

ps - the best fabric i saw at joann's was fleece Lakers fabric! haha!

C and K said...

Broadbents in Lehi off of Main St has BEAUTIFUL fabric!We should make a trip this summer! :)

Nate said...

curtains...sweet...anyway Chase you will seriously love the headphones. Dayna got me a pair last Christmas and I use them all the time. We will make sure to hook you up with some good things to be listening to while abroad bro.

Candice Warby said...

Yay for sewing machines. Although, I've had one since I got married and have yet to make curtains....so what does that say about me...ha ha! Have fun with it!

bklain said...

Fabric :) Love of my life. Ha. joanns is cheap, some good stuff at walmart, actually. Home Fabrics in Orem, next to Michaels. Corn Wagon Quilts in Springville is a fav as well.