Sunday, March 7, 2010

Reflection on Friends

I hope many of you had the chance to watch the CES fireside on Sunday given by Elder Rasband of the Seventy. If you didn't I highly recommend it. Watch it here. I was very touched by his words and would like to reflect for a bit.I truly have been blessed in my life with good friends. In high school I was encircled with friends not of my faith but who shared similar values and who never asked me to do anything that went against the standards of the Church.
(I wish I had some more pics specifically from high school, but alas, they are not scanned in on this computer)

Then my freshman year of college, by divine design I was placed on the third floor of David John at Helaman Halls. I will forever be grateful for the friendships I made that year. This weekend many of us had the chance to reunite for our friend Kim's wedding. Seeing all these girls again made me realize how remarkable it really is that I had the chance to meet and become friends with these amazing women. At Stake Conference yesterday our Stake Relief Society president quoted a plaque that she owns. It states: "Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them." Here's to the women I met in freshman year and throughout college who are examples to me and to those who are already raising children...they're children are so blessed!
At college I became particularly close with a group of girls who will forever be a part of my life. These girls have stood by me through a lot (D&C 121:9) and I am continually grateful for their presence and influence in my life. I know Pres. Monson's words to be true as quoted by Elder Rasband last night: "The friends you choose will either help or hinder your success."
Elder Rasband also made this point last night when quoting Pres. Monson: "Friends help to determine your future. You tend to be like them." As I reflected on these words I immediately thought of my time in Idaho. The year I lived in Pocatello was a year full of growth. I attribute much of the growth I experienced there to the friends I made. They pushed me to be better and to stretch spiritually. I honestly don't think I would have been the woman I needed to be to teach seminary if it weren't for them. Plus, they helped me become the woman I needed to be in order to meet, fall for, and marry Chase.
You'd think once meeting your best friend for eternity you'd not see the need for making new friends. Sooooo not the case. When we entered our new ward I specifically remember praying that we might make couple friends. I have seen that prayer answered so directly and the blessings that have come from the friends we have made in the past two years have been heaven sent.
Please don't think these pictures are reflective of everyone I feel the need to thank. I know I have so many more to thank. Truly friends make all the difference in life!

1 comment:

Rachael said...

wow. if we are like our friends...i couldn't ask for a better person to be like than you.
you too were an answer to prayers.