Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I've Found My Calling In Life

So this week has been busy to say the least. However, I feel like it's going by so slow. This week marked the start of Chase's various competitions in law school. If competing to make the grades isn't enough, Chase decided he wanted to tryout for the Trial Advocacy team and the Moot Court team. So this week the Trial Advocacy tryouts began. If you are unfamiliar with what Trial Advocacy is please see here or here because frankly I don't want to take the time to explain it myself :). The competition started with about 80 1L's (like Chase) and 2L's. After two rounds they had widdle it down to just 24, one of which was Chase! He made it to the quarterfinals, but was cut last night when they cut it to just 12 people. I was so proud of Chase though because he was the only one last night who was speaking on the "fly". He had to give the closing argument, which between opening and closing, closing requires far more talking on the "fly". On top of that because of the cut of others he was switched to a plaintiff from defense. This meant he had to take time yesterday to entirely switch his arguments, closing statement, and cross examination! Craziness. Anyway, although he isn't still in the competition, after the feedback he received last night, I'm almost positive he will be invited to the team. I couldn't be more proud!

Now, you may wonder, what does this have to do with me finding a new calling in life? Well, as part of the competition, the defense and plaintiffs both had to produce 2 witnesses. So to help Chase out I volunteered. The first two nights when he was part of the defense I played the part of an employee from the high chair company Chase was defending. Wait, you may need a little background on the fake case...It involved parents suing a high chair company stating that it was the cause of their baby's death. Their baby was left with a babysitter who placed him in this company's high chair and left him for 7 minutes while she did other things. Because the babysitter had cut the restraint straps out the baby slipped and caught his neck on the tray and suffocated to death. So that's the background. So I first was the Quality Control and Safety Manager of this high chair company. Both nights they commended my acting! Chase was told that he and his witness had a great dynamic together and that it ran smoothly. Good thing we have a good dynamic together, I mean we are married! Then last night, because he switched sides, I had to switch which witness I was. So I became the babysitter. This was quite the daunting roll because she has to describe seeing the baby after he had suffocated. I was nervous that I wouldn't sound believable when I get choked up. But after thinking about dying babies all day (I know morbid, but I had to get into character) I was able to become choked up and set the mood for the trial since I was the first witness to take the stand. One of the judges even asked if I was reacting from real emotion! Ha ha! Victory! So my new calling in life is playing fake witnesses for fake court cases. No, not really, because frankly this competition made me exhausted. Not only did I worry for Chase but I worried and stressed that I wouldn't make Chase look good. Double dose of worry = exhaustion. Good thing it's almost the weekend!

6 comments:

Chase said...

Christy did really well as the witness. I am sure she was the reason I moved so far into the competition. They didn't want me, they wanted Christy. She really sold her part well and made directing her really easy. Thanks, Christy!

Diana said...

Congratulations to both of you! Chase, I am sure you're wrong. They invited my mom (who played a bartender) to move on and still cut me! :-) Way to go!

Diana said...

P.S. I think Christy gets the best wife award for thinking about dying babies all day to help Chase out. :-)

Emily Malinka said...

oh come on we always knew you were the dramatic roommate.... oh wait that was me! Sounds like you "knocked 'em dead", oh I shouldn't joke about that!

Rachael said...

Awesome!! Richard did the same thing for me, only it was a murder case and he was a thug. He grew his beard for a week to get into character....not that unshaven men are thugs.
Congratulations Chase. I know you have talent. You are now entering the part of law school where you can actually use your knowledge to have fun!

gassins said...

It was great to talk to you two last night! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!