Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Problem Solved!

I laugh when my students say to me, "Sis. Gunnell, how do you have so much energy?" I assure them that if they saw me for more than two hours out of the day they would realize I do not have that much energy. Actually since we've been married, I have quickly realized that my energy level pales in comparison to Chase. Case in point: Last night I headed to bed at 8:30 pm only to have Chase poke and tickle me because he was wide awake. I was so tired that I finally had to say, "LEAVE ME BE! I'M EXHAUSTED!" The day wasn't unusual. I hadn't done anything out of the ordinary to cause such exhaustion; nevertheless, I collapsed in bed. I've always just assumed that I expend so much energy teaching that I have zero energy when I get home.

Well, after a series of events I started wondering if something physically was zapping my energy and making me irritable at times. Now I know what you're thinking..."She must be pregnant." I assure you I am not. But after having blood work done this past week I found out today that I do have a low thyroid condition. My genes finally caught up with me. Two of my brothers and my mom both take medication for their thyroids, and now I am joining the group.

I have to say that I am relieved that it isn't something more severe. This can be treated with a mere pill a day, probably for the rest of my life. I'm so grateful that the Lord directed me through recent events to figure this all out. Now maybe I can have the energy necessary to accomplish the tasks at hand!! Only time will tell...

7 comments:

Chase said...

I want to be the first to comment on this post. I want everyone to know how amazing Christy is. I don't know if any of you have tried to teach high school students for 8 hours a day, but it is an exhausting job (not like I have ever done it, but I hear what Christy has to go through and I am exhausted just listening to her). I personally believe her low energy is partially because she has a really exhausting job. I on the other hand sit in a sit for 12 hours a day. That explains why we have such a diversity in energy levels. All in all, I want Christy to know that I love and appreciate her and all she does.

Chase said...

Sorry, I meant to say "sit in a seat all day" not "sit in a sit."

Dayna said...

I know that this is a crazy time in both of your lives right now and I think you are handling it wonderfully! Christy, please let me know if there is anything at all that we can do for you, and chase, hang in there...you are truthfully almost finished with the hardest semester and I know you can do it!

Also, we might get a fence soon and the puppy is more then happy to spend a couple of hours here if you would like!

Rachael said...

its always nice to know that there is a reason, and not just that you are an old fogey!

And Chase...I challenge the implication that seating in a seat for 12 hours a day is not exhausting. The mind has its limits just like the body does!

Andrea said...

I second Chase, teenagers for 8 hrs a day, I don't know how you do it! Hopefully you will have more energy now though. Looks like you had a great Christmas break. Good luck with this semester!

Emily Malinka said...

good news... when you get your thyroid meds more then likely you will loose weight! Thyroid has to do with like 80% weight irregularities... maybe that is comforting, not that you really need to loose weight because you look great but that still could be seen as an upside! Glad you found out what was going on, it soothes the heart doesn't it!

bklain said...

Holy cow Christy, I had no idea! That is nuts. I am so glad it is well controllable, though. You are amazing to do so much every day - I think you are going to become super-woman with your pill. Watch out!