Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Let's put it to a vote!

So this last week I called home to wish my niece a happy birthday. She proceeded to tell me about her birthday and the gifts she received and then she yelled into the phone, "We got a puppy...it's a bulldog!" In shock I asked, "What's it's name?" The response, "Winston!"

Some may know that owning a dog is just what my family does. We love animals. So throughout our time together, I have been working so hard to convince Chase to let me get a dog. We finally found a breed he likes--English bulldogs. He originally wanted to name it "King Tut" since that sounds really masculine and bulldogs look tough. But after visiting my parents at Thanksgiving my mom suggested a name we both really like, "Winston" in order to match it's English heritage. Yep, that's right, my brother Jeff and his wife Kari beat us to the punch!!! They bought the dog we both like and took the name we wanted. See this is the problem with being the youngest. We have slim pickings on names due to many nieces, nephews, and animals. Like for example, Chase loves the Russian name Mila (not sure on the spelling but it's pronounced Me-la). Those who are familiar with my family know that that name is out of the question when it comes to any future daughters we might have because we have both a Milo and a Myla in our family. Oh well.

Anyway, because of this rude awakening by Kari's recent purchase, Chase and I have been looking at bulldog more and more. But thanks to my friend Emily Russon, I was just introduced this week to the Mini Bulldog breed! It looks like an English bulldog just half the size (so around 25 lbs instead of 45-50 lbs) which is very appealing to me since I like smaller dogs (I grew up with miniature schnauzers, what do you expect?). Chase isn't sold on it yet so we thought we'd put it to a vote. Which would you prefer?
The Standard English Bulldog
or The Mini Bulldog

Cast your vote!!

20 comments:

Steven and Melissa said...

I don't think that you could go wrong with either, both are cute. I am partial to smaller dogs though, Ihad a pug growing up and we have a chihuahua now.

Dayna said...

I think they are both cute! I like little dogs like that as well (I wanted a pug!) but that is great that you convinced chase on a dog! YAY! Can't wait to see him/her! And you know we are going to be getting a dog this year as well and it is going to be named after something in the "winston churchill" family! (thanks to nate's previous dog named winston) They can play!

Mark and Elaina said...

Mini all the way. So cute!

Diana said...

Definitely mini. When I was little, we found a lost puppy and named it Winston. A few days later we realized it was a girl, so we called her Winnie. That's my vote. Then you could have a Winnie the Mini bulldog! Ha. :-)

Chase said...

Someone has to take a stand for the bulldog! I mean, seriously folks, why get a mini bulldog when you can get a rat instead? If you want to get something that gives a good reputation to the word "dog" you have to get something that can fend for themselves, at least look an infant in the eyes, and reach at least to the shin. If you get anything smaller, you might as well call it a rat or a hamster. Not only that, but a bulldog, the epitome of a "manly" dog, can't be small. It just can't be. It goes against all logic! Seriously, a mini bulldog will be the laughing stock of all dogs on the block. He will grow up and have a complex.

Chelsea said...

Mini. If anything comes in a mini size you have to get it.

Court said...

Mini for sure. Sorry, Chase. I would still say that "mini" bulldog is pretty beefy! You're lucking out that Christy's even willing to go that big! :)

Steven and Melissa said...

Chase you are going to lose this battle b/c it is up on a blog and only girls look at these. The only reason i;m looking is b/c my wife wanted me to see - Steven

Jeff and Kari said...

I have to say I'm with Chase. Gotta love those big fat dogs. Although I'm not really sure he wants my vote. (I swear I didn't know you wanted to name yours Winston.)If it makes you feel any better, you can have the name Emma for any future girls. I love it but could never use it, being a Smith and all.Then I would be forever jealous of you.

Natasha said...

BIG DOG!!!

Natasha said...

BIG DOG!!!

Natasha said...

BIG DOG!!!

Natasha said...

BIG DOG!!!

Christy Gunnell said...

Since apparently we can put our thoughts down on this post, I would like the record to show Chase that I took a poll in my A2 class (which has a ratio of 2 boys to every girl) and it was 12 to 2 in favor of the mini bulldog!

Emily Malinka said...

I am going to have to cast my vote for the full size one... why runt size something when you can have the real deal... but I did marry a guy that is 6'8 so maybe you should take that into consideration! Good luck, what fun!

Rachael said...

Mini. Everything is cuter when it is smaller. And the things they produce are smaller too!!

Eric said...

I vote Labrador Retriever.

gassins said...

MINI!!

Georgie K. Buttons said...

Mini!! They're a lot easier to care for.

Jeff and Kari said...

Hannah votes big dog too.