Monday, August 3, 2009

Our Newest Nephew

So my oldest brother Jeff and his family went down to Galveston to visit my brother Brad and his family. Jeff, in his usual style, has been obsessively reading and learning how to take better pictures and apparently has become a pretty good photographer. So, while visiting Brad he took some adorable pictures of our new nephew, Ollie Stoke Smith. I had to post them because I was the genius who suggested the sweet pose you will see below of Ollie on a surfboard. I took the idea from my friend Beth's baby photos of Mckay but instead of using a skateboard (so fitting for the Klains) I suggested a surfboard. Why you may ask, well because of the meaning behind Ollie's middle name.


Ollie's mother, Karrie, came up with the idea of using Stoke. She wanted a name that would invoke their feelings for Galveston, for Hurricane Ike, for life. She suggested a name that could describe the same love, drive, and need my brother Brad discovered for surfing this past year as well. Stoke as many of you know by definition means to poke or stir up (as a fire). In surfing, stoke refers to "that feeling you get from nailing your first wrap or barrel, or sticking that bigspin you have been working on for months. The feeling you get whilst gliding effortlessly down the wave, when your mind forgets all your everyday worries, and its just you and the wave, and you are living just for that moment." It is not merely the joy and adrenaline one experiences from surfing, but also the peace one feels as life slows down for one perfect peel. What better describes the joy and focus that Ollie has brought into our lives. Karrie was thinking of the term as it applies to surfing, but this year and this birth has certainly "poked and stirred and supplied their lives with fuel." Their hope is that one day Ollie will discover this same stoke for his life that they did this past year. I fell in love with the name Stoke after hearing the meaning behind the name. I'm stoked just to meet him! If he's anything like his brother Milo, he's gonna make me laugh and smile all the time. So, here he is, Ollie Stoke Smith!

4 comments:

Rachael said...

Although Richard would never permit us to name a son Stoke (not in the bible you know), I love all the descriptions and meaning you included. I love that it has special significance to that family. Maybe someday Stoke will become a family name. My brothers are all into surfing and snowboarding so stoke has also been around our household for years. A beautiful little boy

Dayna said...

cute pictures and cute little boy! How fun for you to have a new nephew!

Jeff and Kari said...

I wouldn't go so far as "genius"--I already had thought of doing something similar. It was a natural choice though once we had a board that Brad had repaired and painted and a kid named "Ollie Stoke"... I will say, my equipment was limiting--I had better pictures in mind than I was able to take

Brad and Karrie Smith said...

Plagiarism... You totally lifted our blog and then changed the personal pronouns so it comes off like you wrote it. Shame on you... you should issue a retraction and next time I expect full citation, lest your friends think you are more literate than you really are!