Friday, February 27, 2009

Crafty Christy

Crafty Christy is what I determined my new name should be. Not really, but I have found that I enjoy being crafty or creative. I stumbled upon this new discovery around Christmas when I was trying to be creative with our meager Christmas decorations and when I was determining gifts for various girlfriends. Here’s what resulted:
A wreath for our front door

A centerpiece for dinner table using branches from our Christmas tree and flowers from a bouquet Chase got me


This is one of the two aprons I made that month for girlfriends. I have always loved this pattern that my mother and sister in law came up with for an apron. Isn't it fun? Ignore the fact that I had Chase model it for the picture.

Call me crazy, but I have found Pres. Uchtdorf’s words to be true when he stated at the last General Relief Society Meeting, “Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment.” Thus, to push me to continue being creative I set a New Year’s resolution to create something new each month. So far these are the fruits of my labors:

I wish I would have taken a before picture, but below you will see what use to be a recipe box. It was a rusty red color and it had rooster designs on it. I really did not see myself ever using a rooster theme in my kitchen, so I got the idea of spray painting it black and then cover it with cute paper. I like how it turned out. We now use it to hold coupons. Yes, Chase and I are coupon users so the box is pretty handy.

My in laws were introduced to the beauty that is Color Me Mine. It's a fun store full of pottery that you can paint and then they fire it for you. I went there once as a third wheel with my old buddies Emily and Peter Malinka, but it was fun to go there with Karlee, Robin, and Chase.


Chase surprised himself and actually enjoyed it.

The two of us made big mugs with our names on it to eat cereal out of. He did a Superman theme (Smallville really is a part of our lives) and I did fun stripes and colors. You'll also see below that Chase is holding a heart bowl/plate that I went and painted on my own one night while he was working for a decoration for Valentine's. I was really proud of how it turned out.

I must say though, I don't think I am the only one in my family taping into the crafty genes we were given. I would like to direct everyone's attention to my brother Brad's blog post that displays his crafting abilities in constructing Lincoln out of poultry. You'll be amazed. You reading this may have craftiness within you...you just have to find your niche!

4 comments:

Natasha said...

I want that apron pattern... no seriously I do. I've been trying to find an apron pattern I like because I want to make my moms aprons for mothers day. Can I borrow it?... I've never sewn an apron so I'll have to come over so you can show me how you did it. You're so talented!!

Kaela Cusack said...

you are so crafty! we are HUGE coupon people.

gassins said...

Christy girl, I love your blog! It is so fun to read what you guys are up to (LOVE the 80s costumes by the way...wondering why I didn't take better advantage of the wardrobe access while in Utah), and I love that I get to know you better via blog. Win win! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks. Love ya sista!
Lindsay-

Dayna said...

looks awesome christy! you are so creative!